I trust you are having a great week. I recently read an interesting post on a friend’s Facebook that she wrote about a question she was asked as a pastor’s wife. She has given me permission to share with you and it is so profound.
“Oh, your husband’s a pastor? What does he make?”
What does he make????
- He makes people feel comforted, holding back his own emotions while preaching the funeral of your loved one.
- He makes decisions and speaks on behalf of families when they are devastated and can’t think clearly on their own.
- He makes plans……….and breaks plans because someone in the church has an emergency and needs him immediately.
- He makes his kids wait to open Christmas and birthday presents because he got called away.
- He makes every person that demands his attention feel important – because he truly believes they are.
- He makes every effort to speak to you, every time he sees you in public, while his children haven’t had lunch yet, need a nap or want to ride rides at the fair…but he wants you to know you matter.
- He makes house calls to fix your plumbing, car, and HVAC issues.
- He makes road trips to be at surgeries and funerals of your family members.
- He makes himself crazy second-guessing himself, wondering if he’s doing enough for the congregation he so dearly loves.
- He makes your heart peaceful when he is there to listen to you, day or night, no matter the hour.
- He makes your kids hear what you’re trying to tell them because you are at your wits’ end.
- He makes your spouse see your point of view when you can’t.
- He makes sacrifices, and makes his family make sacrifices because unknown to you, he does not get paid a dime for being in the ministry. In fact, many things you see on the surface are paid for out of his pocket.
- He makes vacation plans based around your weddings, baptisms, and baby dedications….and ends up cancelling vacation, again.
- He makes it look easy…even though his family sees how hard it can be.
- He makes sure you are living the best life you can on earth, and that you spend eternity in heaven.
- He makes trips to bail you out of jail when you don’t want your family to know where you are and what you did.
- He makes trips to court to testify on your behalf about your character.
- He makes holes in the knees of his pants because of the endless hours he spends in prayer for you and your family.
- He makes mistakes – he’s human, not a superhuman. Accept it.
- He makes God pleased.
- He makes his wife and children proud of the man he is.
- He makes a difference.
- That’s what he makes…he chose it…and he wouldn’t have it any other way.
– Lisa Dodson
How many times have we as pastors’ wives been asked that question, “How much does your husband make?” Or they make this statement, “Must be nice to make such a large salary and only work one day a week.” We could all list the different comments that have been made about our husband’s salary and job as they look at it. Yet, I wonder how many of those people making those comments would work for what he does and the hours he does? I have my opinion on how many, but I will keep that to myself. And besides it’s not a job, it is a calling!
I thought Lisa did an outstanding job clarifying for people what their pastors do and make!
Thank you Rodetta. My husband does receive a salary but all the other points apply. Again, I am sharing your post on my HOPE for minister’s wives group. Keep encouraging us. You are such a blessing.